- Marguerite Toscano
- Research Geologist
- Phone: 202-633-1649
- Fax: 202-786-2832
- E-mail Address: toscanom
- Mailing Address:
PO Box 37012, MRC 121
Washington, DC 20013-7012
- Shipping Address:
National Museum of Natural History
10th & Constitution NW
Washington, DC 20560-0121
Ph.D. Marine Science University of South Florida, 1996
MS Coastal & Quaternary Geology University of Delaware, Dept. of Geology 1986
BS Geology, Long Island University 1982
Quaternary paleobiologic/paleogeologic studies, including coral reef and mangrove paleoenvironmental reconstruction, paleoclimatology, accurate radiometric dating of organic deposits, Pleistocene and Holocene sea-level change as recorded in Caribbean fossil reefs and coastal wetland deposits, geophysical aspects of sea-level change, and effects of predicted climate warming and rising seas on coastal processes and coastal ecosystems
- 2009 Dedication (shared with Lisa Norby and Wesley Hill) by the National Park Service in the North Coast and Cascades Network Paleontological Inventory, for service to the National Park Service, Geoscientists in Parks program.
- 2001-2002 CIRA Senior Postdoctoral Fellow NOAA
- 1999 Best of Session Poster Award Intl. Conference on the Ocean Observing System for Climate (OCEANOBS 99), St. Raphael, France, 1999
- 1999-2001 National Research Council (NRC) Post-Doctoral Research Associate, NOAA
- 1996 Distinguished Scholar Award U.S. Navy Seabee Memorial Association 25th Anniversary
- 1994 First Biennial Denise Gaudreau Award for Excellence in Quaternary Sciences American Quaternary Association
Outreach and Education
- Smithsonian Ocean Portal Article – Tracking Volcanic Rock to the Shores of Belize: http://ocean.si.edu/ocean-news/tracking-volcanic-rock-shores-belize
- The Scientist is In (Ocean Hall) – multiple presentations to the visiting public on coral reefs, mangroves, paleo sea level reconstruction and tracking floating pumice from the Pacific coast to the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System.
- Smithsonian Women in Science Website: http://www.cfa.harvard.edu/hea/sws/toscano.html
Funded and Pending Research Proposals
- Toscano MA, Feller IC, Opishinski TB, Stumpf RP, Hensel PF, Gonzalez JL, Whelan KRT (2012; in review) Shoreline migration from ancestral edges of mangrove islands and carbonate banks along the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef and Florida Keys: Rates and mechanisms of land loss/retreat due to sea-level rise, episodic events and ecological succession. Submitted to the Sedimentary Geology and Paleontology Program (EAR), Directorate for Geosciences, National Science Foundation.
- Megonigal P, Toscano MA, Dos Santos S, Collin R, Paul V, Opishinski TB, Koltes K, Gallagher C, Hensel P, Allen A (2012, submitted) Establishing “Sentinel” Environmental Instrumentation at SI Marine Research Areas - Advancing the MarineGEO Initiative. Level 2 Smithsonian Grand Challenges Proposal to the Consortium for Understanding and Sustaining a Biodiverse Planet.
- Feller, IC, Breitburg D, Toscano MA, Altieri A, Gedan K (2012, submitted) Mangroves as Models Systems to Study Impact of Climate Change, Hypoxia, Ocean Acidification, Carbon Storage, and Excess Nutrients in Coastal Ecosystems.Level 2 Smithsonian Grand Challenges Proposal to Consortium for Understanding and Sustaining a Biodiverse Planet.
- Toscano MA (2009-2012 ) Holocene sea-level change in the Caribbean: implications for geophysical modeling and ocean-climate interactions. Sedimentary Geology and Paleontology Program (EAR), Directorate for Geosciences, National Science Foundation.
- Toscano MA, McKee KL, Horton BP (2007) Holocene Sea-Level Change from Caribbean Mangrove Deposits. Small grant for exploratory research funded by the Caribbean Coral Reef Ecosystem program, for two weeks use of the Smithsonian's Carrie Bow Cay field station to core mangroves at Twin Cays and Pelican Cays, Belize. Field work was done in March 2007
[ TOP ]
Toscano MA, Macintyre IG, Lundberg J (2012) Late Pleistocene reef limestones, northeastern St. Croix, US Virgin Islands – evidence of localized, eastward tectonic tilting and subsidence since MIS 5.5. Coral Reefs 31: 27-38;DOI 10.1007/s00338-011-0822-7.
Toscano MA, Peltier WR, Drummond R. (2011) ICE-5G and ICE-6G models of postglacial relative sea-level history applied to the Holocene coral reef record of northeastern St Croix, U.S.V.I.: Investigating the influence of rotational feedback on GIA processes at tropical latitudes. Quaternary Science Reviews, 30: 3032-3042; doi:10.1016/j.quascirev.2011.07.018.
Toscano MA, Santucci VL, Kenworthy JP (2010) Paleontological Resource Inventory and Monitoring—South Florida / Caribbean Network. Natural Resource Technical Report NPS/NRPC/NRTR—2010/335. National Park Service, Fort Collins, Colorado.
Stanley D-J, Toscano MA (2009) Ancient archaeological sites buried and submerged along Egypt's Nile Delta coast: gauges of Holocene delta margin subsidence. Journal of Coastal Research 25:158-170.
Macintyre IG, Toscano MA, Feller IC, Faust M (2009) Decimating mangrove forests for commercial development in the Pelican Cays, Belize: Long-term ecological loss for short term gain? In: Proceedings, Marine Science Symposium 2007, Contributions to Marine Science, Smithsonian Scholarly Press, 281-289.
Macintyre IG, Toscano MA, Lundberg J (2008) Complex environmental patterns and Holocene sea-level changes controlling reef histories along northeastern St Croix, USVI. Atoll Research Bulletin 556.
Macintyre IG, Glynn PW, Toscano MA (2008)The destruction of a large Acropora palmata bank-barrier reef and subsequent depletion of this reef-building coral off Barbados, WI. Atoll Research Bulletin No. 545.
Macintyre IG, Glynn PW, Toscano MA (2007) The demise of a major Acropora palmata bank-barrier reef off the southeast coast of Barbados, West Indies. Coral Reefs 26:765-773.
Macintyre IG, Toscano MA (2007) The Elkhorn coral Acropora palmata is coming back to the Belize Barrier Reef. Reef Sites, Coral Reefs 26:757.
Toscano MA and Macintyre IG (2006) Reply to Gischler E, Comment on Toscano and Macintyre (2003): corrected western Atlantic sea-level curve for the last 11,000 years based on calibrated 14C dares from Acropora palmata framework and intertidal mangrove peat, Coral Reefs 22:257-270 (2003),and their response in Coral Reefs 24:187-190 (2005). Coral Reefs 25:281-286.
Toscano MA and Macintyre IG (2006) Reply to P. Blanchon, Comment on “Corrected western Atlantic sea-level curve for the last 11,000 years based on calibrated 14C and TIMS U-Th dates on Acropora palmata framework and mangrove peat [Coral Reefs 22: 257-270]”. Coral Reefs 24:187-190.
Macintyre IG, Toscano MA, Bond, GB (2004) Modern Sedimentary Environments and Facies, Twin Cays, Belize, Central America. In: IG Macintyre, K Rützler and IC Feller (eds) The Twin Cays mangrove system, Belize: biodiversity, geologic history, and two decades of change. Atoll Research Bulletin, 509.
Macintyre IG, Toscano MA, Lighty RG (2004) Holocene history of the mangrove islands of Twin Cays, Belize, Central America. In: IG Macintyre, K Rützler and IC Feller (eds) The Twin Cays mangrove system, Belize: biodiversity, geologic history, and two decades of change. Atoll Research Bulletin, 510.
Macintyre IG, Toscano MA (2004) The Pleistocene foundation below Twin Cays, Belize, Central America In: IG Macintyre, K Rützler and IC Feller (eds) The Twin Cays mangrove system, Belize: biodiversity, geologic history, and two decades of change. Atoll Research Bulletin, 511.
McClanahan TR, Baird AH, Marshall PA, Toscano MA (2004) Comparing bleaching and mortality responses of hard corals between southern Kenya and the Great Barrier Reef, Australia. Marine Pollution Bulletin 48: 327-335.
Toscano MA, Macintyre IG (2003) Corrected western Atlantic sea-level curve for the last 11,000 years based on calibrated 14C dates on Acropora palmata framework and intertidal mangrove peat. Coral Reefs 22:257-270.
Toscano MA, Liu G, Guch IC, Casey KS, Strong AE, Meyer JE (2003) Improved prediction of coral bleaching using high-resolution HotSpot anomaly mapping. Proc., 9th Intl Coral Reef Symp. Bali, 1143-1148.
Cumming RL, Toscano MA, Lovell ER, Carlson BA, Dulvy NK, Hughes A, Koven JF, Quinn NJ, Sykes HR, Taylor OJS, Vaughn D (2003) Mass coral bleaching in the Fiji Islands, 2000. Proc., 9th Intl Coral Reef Symposium, Bali, 1161-1168.
Aronson RB, Precht, WF, Toscano MA, Koltes K (2002) The 1998 bleaching event and its aftermath on a coral reef in Belize. Marine Biology 141:435-447.
Bruno JF, Siddon CE, Witman JD, Colin P, Toscano MA (2001) El Niño Related Coral Bleaching in Palau, Western Caroline Islands. Coral Reefs 20:127-136.
Toscano MA, Rodriguez E, Lundberg J (1999) Geologic investigation of the late Pleistocene Jaimanitas Formation: science and society in Castro’s Cuba. In: Curran, HA and Mylroie, JE (eds.), Proc., 9th Symposium on the Geology of the Bahamas and other Carbonate Regions, San Salvador, Bahamian Field Station, 125-142.
Toscano MA, Lundberg J (1999) Submerged Late Pleistocene reefs on the tectonically-stable southeast Florida margin: High-precision geochronology, stratigraphy, resolution of Substage 5a sea-level elevation, and orbital forcing. Quaternary Science Reviews 18: 753-767.
Toscano MA, Lundberg J (1998) Early Holocene sea-level record from submerged fossil reefs on the southeast Florida margin. Geology 26: 255-258.
Toscano MA, Lundberg J (1997) Late stage 5 coral reefs, southeast Florida shelf: Sea level, high precision dating and assessment of forcing mechanisms. In: Carew, JL (ed.), Proc., 8th Symp. on the Geology of the Bahamas and Other Carbonate Regions: San Salvador, Bahamian Field Station, 176-189.
Toscano MA (1996) Late Quaternary Stratigraphy, Sea-Level History, and Paleoclimatology of the Southeast Florida Outer Continental Shelf. Ph.D. Dissertation, Department of Marine Science, University of South Florida, St. Petersburg, FL, 280 pp.
Toscano MA (1992) Record of oxygen isotope stage 5 on the Maryland inner shelf and Atlantic Coastal Plain - A post-transgressive highstand regime. In: Wehmiller, J. F. and Fletcher, C. H. (eds.), Quaternary Coasts of the United States: Lacustrine and Marine Systems, SEPM Special Publication 48: 89-99.
Toscano MA, York LL (1992) Quaternary stratigraphy and sea level history of the U. S. middle Atlantic Coastal Plain. Quaternary Science Reviews 11: 301-328.